Marathon Petroleum welcomes the House Committee on Oversight and Reform’s Subcommittee on Environment field hearing. We are honored that Rep. Harley Rouda, Chairman of the Subcommittee on Environment, and Rep. Rashida Tlaib, Vice Chair, selected the Kemeny Center, a facility Marathon Petroleum recently supported with a $2 million contribution for its renovation.
We are fully supportive of every effort to improve the air quality of Southwest Detroit, a neighborhood we’ve called home for the past 60 years.
In 2016, the latest year for which figures are available, the Detroit refinery’s emissions comprised less than 3% of all emissions within a two-mile radius of the refinery. We would be happy to work with the Subcommittee members to address possible solutions for the other 97% of emissions impacting the air quality in our community.
Additionally, Marathon Petroleum would like to invite Rep. Rouda and Rep. Tlaib to visit our Detroit refinery. Our track record of reducing emissions by 80% over the past 20 years puts us in a unique position to share best practices and demonstrate our safety standards.
We look forward to an open and honest discussion. We are always ready to listen.